Currently most pregnant women undergo one or two ultrasound scans during their pregnancy. When the fetus is scanned, kidneys and the urinary tracts are analyzed, In addition the volume of liquor (amniotic fluid) also helps to suspect kidney problems. Of late stretching of the kidney (Hydronephrosis) is detected very frequently.
During scanning of 100-200 pregnant ladies, one fetus is found to have this abnormality. This usually happens because of a blockage in the urinary tract. Before proceeding further it is essential to describe the normal arrangement of the kidneys.
In human body there are two kidneys, one on either side of belly. From each kidney urine drains out via a tube called ‘ureter’ into a common urinary bladder. The bladder is located in the lower most part of belly. Once enough urine accumulates, it empties via a tube called 'urethra'. Whenever there is a block in any of these tubes, kidney stretching results.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2019, October 09). Hydronephrosis / Antenatal Counseling - Unilateral - Bilateral - Key Points. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 07, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/hydronephrosis.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Hydronephrosis / Antenatal Counseling - Unilateral - Bilateral - Key Points". Medindia. Dec 07, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/hydronephrosis.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Hydronephrosis / Antenatal Counseling - Unilateral - Bilateral - Key Points". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/hydronephrosis.htm. (accessed Dec 07, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Hydronephrosis / Antenatal Counseling - Unilateral - Bilateral - Key Points. Medindia, viewed Dec 07, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/hydronephrosis.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Hydronephrosis / Antenatal Counseling
- Neurogenic bladder monitoring using the cystomanometer and cystoelastometer. - Published by PubMed
- [Laparoscopic radical cystectomy: novel technique with late dividing of the ureters]. - Published by PubMed
- Bochdalek hernias associated with intrathoracic kidney: A case report and systematic review of outcomes including renal function. - Published by PubMed
- An overview of hydronephrosis in adults. - Published by PubMed
- Diabetic ketoacidosis complicated by emphysematous pyelonephritis: a case report and literature review. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a Pediatrician for your problem? Ask your question
4 years experience
Spo2, Saptarshi Park, Durgapur
12 years experience
10 years experience
4 years experience