Do you want to know what percentage of your body weight is due to fat content? The Body Fat Percentage calculator is based on Body Adiposity Index
or BAI (1
) and can very accurately calculate the body fat
percentage. Use this calculator if your weight is increasing or if you are overweight or obese.Body Fat Percentage
is a better way to measure about how healthy you are, then the popular body mass index or BMI. BMI calculator tends to overestimate and underestimate for muscular body mass and athletic body respectively. BMI is known to be of limited accuracy, and is different for males and females with similar body adiposity(2
While no estimate maybe accurate, however using both the above calculators is a good way to understand if you are physically fit and the risks associated with being overweight or obese (3
First Calculate Body Fat Percentage Before following Planning a Weight Loss Regime
The fat percentage of your body will give you a fair idea of your physical fitness, and can help with any weight loss program. It was scientifically validated before it was published and provides a simple approach for measurement of body fat percentage.
While the body mass index
requires your body weight, the fat percentage calculator requires only your height and hip circumference.
How to measure your Hip Circumference?
To measure your hip circumference- stand straight in relaxed posture and keep your feet as close together as possible. Use a measuring tape to measure the largest circumference around your hips.
- WHO estimated in 2008 that more than 1.4 billion adults were overweight, and of these over 200 million men and nearly 300 million women were obese.
- The quickest way to reduce body fat might simply be to increase your muscle mass.
- Exercising a targeted portion of the body does not ensure that there is greater fat loss from that portion.
- Sites for storage and consequently loss of fat are determined largely by gender and genetics.
1. Bergman RN, Stefanovski D, Buchanan TA, Sumner AE, Reynolds JC, Sebring NG, Xiang AH, Watanabe RM. A better index of body adiposity. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 May;19(5):1083-9. doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.38. Epub 2011 Mar 3. PMID: 21372804; PMCID: PMC3275633.
2. Freedman DS, Thornton JC, Pi-Sunyer FX, Heymsfield SB, Wang J, Pierson RN Jr, Blanck HM, Gallagher D. The body adiposity index (hip circumference ÷ height(1.5)) is not a more accurate measure of adiposity than is BMI, waist circumference, or hip circumference. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012 Dec;20(12):2438-44. doi: 10.1038/oby.2012.81. Epub 2012 Apr 9. PMID: 22484365; PMCID: PMC3477292.)
3. Matheus Santos Cerqueira, Carolina Araújo dos Santos, Diego Augusto Santos Silva, Paulo Roberto dos Santos Amorim, João Carlos Bouzas Marins, Sylvia do Carmo Castro Franceschini, Validity of the Body Adiposity Index in Predicting Body Fat in Adults: A Systematic Review, Advances in Nutrition, Volume 9, Issue 5, September 2018, Pages 617–624