Its' Summertime! The sun is shining, the grass is green, school is out and lots of outdoor activities to do! During summer, people travel to vacation spots for long periods of time or short day trips. Some kids go to day camps or go camping outdoors. To keep them occupied and active, summer has to be enjoyable for them. Summer brings picnics and barbeques as well as families on the go.
You can make the summer a fun time for your children by making sure they follow some simple guidelines for their safety.
Sun Safety tips for Children:
- Use a sunscreen with an SPF 15 and apply at least 20 minutes prior to sun exposure.
- Remember to apply sunscreen to all exposed skin areas.
- Sunscreen should only be part of the protection from the sun. The other part of reducing exposure to the sun includes wearing protective clothing, cool sunglasses and staying indoor at the times of high sun exposure, between 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Avoid the mid-day when the rays are more intense and damaging.
- Encourage children to wear a hat with 3"-4" brim.
- Dress children in light-colored fabrics, covering exposed areas, if possible.
- Have children drink plenty of water.
- You can plan indoor activities during the peak hours or an evening trip to the beach when it tends to be less crowded.
Keeping all these tips in mind, be safe and enjoy the summer with your family!!
Have a great summer!!!