Like most species, human beings have two sexes, male and female. The male reproductive system of a man consists of a pair of testes, ducts, accessory glands and a penis
The functions of the male reproductive system are:
The female reproductive system consists of two ovaries
- Production of sperms.
- Transmission of sperms to the female.
(produce ova and female hormones), fallopian tubes, uterus
(muscular organ which supports the fetus during it’s 40 week gestation period before birth), vagina and external genitalia
The functions of the female reproductive system are: -
- Production of ovum eggs.
- Receiving the sperms.
- Providing suitable environment for fusion (fertilization) of the egg and the sperm.
- Child birth.
- Nourishment of the baby with breast milk until it can take a mixed diet.
Humans like any other species, pass their unique characteristics to the next generation through their genes.
Interesting Facts on Reproductive System
- A human female can give birth to about 35 babies in a lifetime.
- Both the male and female reproductive system have the ability to produce the smallest
(sperm) and the largest (ovum) cell in the human body. The sperm and the ovum can be measured at about 3-5mm and 120mm in diameter.
- A healthy male testes can produce around 500 million sperm cells daily and these testes can also release up to 75 million or more sperm cells during an ejaculation.
- Female ovaries contain about 1-2 million eggs at birth but only 300 thousand ovaries make it to puberty
- An ova can have a lifespan of 12-24 hours after it is released from the ovary, while a sperm can have a lifespan of 36 hours.
- Process of sperm production (spermatogenesis) requires an optimal temperature which is around 2-3 ºC lower than the normal human body temperature; this is why the scrotum, which contains testicles, is present outside the body.
- Zygote is an single cell entity which is formed by the fusion of both sperm and ovum.
- Androgens are the hormones that are responsible for ‘manly’ characteristics in men. Deep voice, body hair, height and muscle mass are some of these characteristics.
- Alcoholism, smoking and drug abuse greatly reduce your sexual function, while exercise and healthy diet can improve it.
- Fertilization is mostly possible when the female is at the middle of her menstrual cycle
It is when the hormones promoting pregnancy are at their peak.
- A female uterus is about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide normally while during pregnancy the uterus can expand up to 20 times of its normal size. The uterus contains one of the strongest muscles in the female body.
- Fallopian tubes are about 12 centimeters long and only as wide as a sewing needle.
- The vagina hosts many guarding bacteria which protect the female reproductive organs from external infections. These bacteria reside in a slightly acidic environment lowering the pH of the vagina.
- At 8 weeks of pregnancy vital organs like brain, heart, skin and stomach are all developed within the embryo measuring only an adult’s thumb. The health of the fetus and its development are affected by the mother’s oral health.
- When in the womb the body of baby is covered by a thin layer of hair that disappears when the baby is born.
- Reproduction - (http://kidshealth.org/en/teens/female-repro.html#)
- Reproductive System - (https://www.medindia.net/know_ur_body/anatomy-of-reproductive-system.asp)