As summer progresses, the humidity mounts -- enough to make even slightly wavy heads look like they've been stuck in a light socket. It is this time of the year when the skin and hair needs extra care. However, we know well enough by now that the sun can wreak havoc with skin and hair. While your skin can protect itself from prolonged exposure to the sun by tanning, the hair has no such ability. It is also the time of year where we encounter the highest percentage of damaged hair, some of it beyond repair, dry dull brittle hair; split ends; uncontrollable frizz; limp hair; brassy yellow streaks and more.
One should take care of your hair in all the seasons.. In summer the hair becomes sticky and while you comb the hair, it comes out irregularly and sticks to the comb..
|Here are some of the tips to take care of your hair for summer... |
Here are some Home Remedies:
- Start the summer season with a salon trip to remove split ends and handle hair repairs.
- It's best to have a summer cut, in the sense, a boy cut. It's easy to maintain and also to comb.
- Wear a hat or scarf for all day total protection.
- A wide tooth comb should be used on damp hair and nothing else. It's the ultimate grooming and detangling tool.
- If you normally blow dry and use hot curling tools every day, try and give your hair a break during the summer month. Consider letting your hair air dry or take time out from curling.
- Be religious about your trims. Since summer heat can be so pump up the frizzies, make sure you have the ends trimmed every 6-8 weeks during the summer months. When your ends are fizzy, its a sure sign that they are either damaged, split or both. Frizzy hair is often the result of too much sun time.
- For summer months be careful to use hair products that are as natural as possible. Avoid any products that contain alcohol or formaldehyde, since they can be excessively drying to the hair.
- Healthy hair is essential to looking good. Drink plenty of water and try to eat fresh vegetables, fresh fruits in order to maintain the balance of vitamins to nourish the hair.
- Consider washing your hair less often during the summer months to allow your hair to absorb more moisture.
- Hair needs to be treated more gently during the summer. Consider switching to a more gentle shampoo- after sun formula, designed to nourish the hair.
- If you unexpectedly find yourself at the beach without a hat or SPF for you hair, use sunscreen made for your skin. When you get home be sure to wah it off with a deep-cleansing shampoo.
- Once in a week atleast make a fine paste of Methi (fenugreek leaves)/fenugreek seeds (vendhiyam in Tamil / methi seeds) and apply to your hair and shampoo after 20 minutes. It gives natural shine to your hair and also acts as a conditioner.
- If you have dandruff apply the above past and also add a pinch lemon juice to it and finally shampoo.
These few tips should see you well through the summer and leave you with fond memories instead of bitter tales. Hope these tips will surely be useful to you...
Have a great summer!!!