Muscle weakness (due to blocking of signals from the nerves to the muscles).
• Eye and ENT: Hearing loss and loss of balance.
• Genitourinary: Reduced urine volume, protein in urine, increased serum creatinine, urinary casts, red and white blood cells in urine and high level of nitrogen waste in blood (azotemia).
• Miscellaneous: Decreased serum magnesium.
The recommended dose is 15mg/kg/day in 1-3 doses, urinary tract infection 250mg twice a day.
This medication available in the form of injection, administered by a healthcare professional.
Generally not indicated for long-term therapy because of ototoxicity (damage to the ear) and nephrotoxicity (damage to kidney cells).
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney disease, vertigo, hearing loss, ringing in the ears, myasthenia gravis, or Parkinson's disease, during pregnancy.
• Discontinue, if signs of ototoxicity, neurotoxicity or hypersensitivity occurs; and during lactation.
• Safety has not been established for treatment period >14 days.
• Monitor renal function before and during treatment.
Do not change the dose without consulting your doctor.
Injection: Store it in the refrigerator or freezer. Take your next dose from the refrigerator 1 hour before using it; place it in a clean, dry area to allow it to warm to room temperature. Do not refreeze medications.