What are the Advantages of Breast Milk to the Child?
There are numerous health benefits both for the mother and the child if breastfeeding is resorted to. The advantages of breast milk for the baby include-
- Breastfeeding strengthens the immune system. During breastfeeding the mother passes on antibodies to the infant. It helps the infant fight infection and diseases like ear infections, meningitis, diarrhea and respiratory infections. According to researchers, infants receiving breast milk exclusively for 4 or more months have 40% fewer episodes of ear infections. It is a boon for the premature baby. It acts as a protective shield against allergies, asthma, and obesity.
- It is easily assimilated by the infants’ body due to the perfect combination of protein (whey and casein), lactose and fat.
- Studies have indicated that breastfed infants are less prone to childhood obesity than others.
- Breastfed infants have fewer dental cavities throughout their lives.
- Additionally, breast-fed infants have a higher IQ than those that are not. Statistics reveal that children breastfed for a period of 6 months and alone, exclusively, possess a 5 to 10 points higher IQ than formula-fed infants.
- Psychological security- Breast-fed infants are closer to their mothers and feel secure with them more than others. There is a special feeling of bonding between them.
- Breastfed children develop fewer psychological, behavioral and learning problems as they grow older.