This medication is an anthelmintic, prescribed for certain parasitic roundworm infections such as Strongyloidiasis and Onchocerciasis. It kills the worms in the intestines.
It is administered as a single oral dose therapy.
Strongyloidiasis- The recommended dose is 200mcg/kg/ body weight.
Onchocerciasis - The recommended dose is 150mcg/kg body weight.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, as single dose on an empty stomach with a full glass of water.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of asthma or a weakened immune system, any infection, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Stool examinations may be performed while taking this medication.
• Patients who have other parasite infections may develop with increased risk of serious brain problem with the following symptoms: unusual back pain, eye bleeding, shortness of breath, failure to control bladder or bowel, trouble walking or standing, mental changes. If it is so consult with your doctor immediately.
• Body as a Whole :
Weakness/fatigue and abdominal pain.
• Gastrointestinal : Loss of appetite, constipation, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
• Central Nervous System : Dizziness, drowsiness, unsteadiness and tremor.
• Skin : Itching, rash and hives.
Extreme caution needed in children weighing less than 33 pounds (15 kilograms).
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (25-30°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!