- Asthma a chronic respiratory condition results in inflamed or swollen airways.
- Asthmatic patients report difficulty with sleep
- Adults with asthma who have insomnia disorder may be at a higher risk for adverse outcomes
Insomnia is highly prevalent in asthmatic patients and is linked to worse asthma control.
Patients with asthma report difficulty with sleep; however the prevalence of insomnia and its relationship with asthma burden and quality of life is unknown.
Recent research work examined the impact of insomnia on asthma control and asthma-related healthcare utilization.
- Insomnia was present in 37% of the study participants with asthma
- People with insomnia had a higher body mass index, worse lung function and lower annual household income when compared with people without insomnia
- Insomnia reported frequent asthma-related healthcare use in the past 1 year when compared with those without insomnia.
"Further studies are needed to better understand the relationship between insomnia and asthma control. Prospective and interventional studies, such as implementing cognitive-behavioral treatment for insomnia, are recommended moving forward", said researchers.
Asthma - Facts and Statistics
- Asthma a chronic lung disease inflames and narrows the airways leading to difficulty in breathing
- Asthma is a non-communicable disease
- Asthma affects 300 million people globally
- Every year about 250,000 people die of asthma prematurely around the world.
- 80% of asthma deaths occur in low-income countries
- All asthma deaths are preventable
- 14% of children have asthma
- Stick to a sleep schedule
- Practice a relaxing bedtime ritual
- Regular physical activity
- Limit intake of caffeine, nicotine, alcohol at night
- Faith S. Luyster et al. Association Between Insomnia and Asthma Burden in the Severe Asthma Research Program (SARP) III; CHEST; (2016) DOI: 10.1016/j.chest.2016.09.020
- Healthy Sleep Tips - (https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-tools-tips/healthy-sleep-tips)
- How to Sleep Better - (http://www.helpguide.org/articles/sleep/how-to-sleep-better.htm)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Sheela Philomena. (2016, December 08). Insomnia Prevalent in Patients With Asthma, Finds Study. Medindia. Retrieved on Aug 09, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/insomnia-prevalent-in-patients-with-asthma-finds-study-166000-1.htm.
Sheela Philomena. "Insomnia Prevalent in Patients With Asthma, Finds Study". Medindia. Aug 09, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/insomnia-prevalent-in-patients-with-asthma-finds-study-166000-1.htm>.
Sheela Philomena. "Insomnia Prevalent in Patients With Asthma, Finds Study". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/insomnia-prevalent-in-patients-with-asthma-finds-study-166000-1.htm. (accessed Aug 09, 2022).
Sheela Philomena. 2021. Insomnia Prevalent in Patients With Asthma, Finds Study. Medindia, viewed Aug 09, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/news/healthwatch/insomnia-prevalent-in-patients-with-asthma-finds-study-166000-1.htm.