This medication is an SSRI antidepressant, prescribed for major depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder. It increases the amount of serotonin, a natural substance in the brain that helps maintain mental balance.
Contraindicated in patients who are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), pimozide, and hypersensitivity.
PO- The recommended initial dose is 20 mg/day.
It comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of increased eye pressure, seizures, stomach bleeding, liver, kidney or heart disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• ♦ Patient may develop with increased risk of Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) and Serotonin Syndrome with the following symptoms: fever, rigid muscles, blood pressure changes, mental changes, restlessness, diarrhea, fast heart beat, incoordination, nausea, vomiting. If it is so consult with your doctor.
• Most Common :
Weakness, sweating, nausea, decreased appetite, drowsiness, dizziness, sleeplessness, tremor, nervousness, ejaculatory disturbance, and other male genital disorders.
• Body as a Whole : Headache.
• Heart : Palpitations and dilatation of blood vessels.
• Skin : Sweating and rash.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, dry mouth, constipation, diarrhea, decreased appetite, flatulence and indigestion.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain and weakness.
• Central Nervous System : Anxiety, tingling, decreased sexual activity and confusion.
• Eye and ENT : Respiration problems, blurred vision and taste perversion.
• Genitourinary : Ejaculatory disturbances, urinary frequency, urination disorder and female genital disorders.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature, away from direct sunlight and excess heat and moisture.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Lazy eye or amblyopia occurs when sight in one eye is less than the other in early childhood due to ...
Tracheal or windpipe cancer is a rare cancer and its cause is unclear. The most common squamous ...
Tecovirimat can be used to treat smallpox disease in adult and pediatric patients who weigh at ...View All