This medication is a uterine stimulant, prescribed for the initiation of uterine contractions and induction of labor in women as well as stimulation of contractions in cases where the uterus does not contract enough during labor. It is also used to help abort the fetus in cases of incomplete abortion or miscarriage, and control bleeding after childbirth. It may be used for breast engorgement.
This medication is contraindicated in cases where there is Cephalopelvic disproportion(CPD) (when a baby’s head or body is too large to fit through the mother’s pelvis); abnormal presentation of the fetus, excessive amniotic fluid; in women who have had multiple pregnancies, previous caesarian section or other uterine surgery; hyperactive or hypertonic uterus, uterine rupture; in cases where vaginal delivery is contraindicated (such as invasive cervical cancer, active genital herpes, prolapse of the cord, cord presentation or total placenta previa); fetal distress where delivery is not imminent; severe pre-eclamptic toxaemia (pregnancy induced high blood pressure).
IV- The recommended dose is 1 to 2 mU/min. Dosage should be adjusted at half an hour to hourly intervals. Max 32 mU/min.
Postpartum haemorrhage: 10 to 40 mU by infusion at a rate to control uterine atony.
Adjunct in abortion: The recommended dose is 10 to 20 mU/min, max 30 IU.
It is usually administered as an infusion at you doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. It is also available as a nasal spray.
• Stop the drug immediately if the uterus contracts excessively or the fetus is in distress.
• Intra muscular administration is not regularly used due to unpredictable effects of this medication.
• Do not use it for prolonged periods in resistant uterine inertia, severe pre-eclampsia (hypertension), or severe CV disorders, hyper hydration.
• Monitor neonates and mother’s heart rate, maternal BP and uterine motility, fluid intake and output during treatment.
Rupture of uterus, increased tone of uterine muscle.
• Fetus or neonate: Jaundice; abnormal heart rhythm, slow heart beat, brain, brain damage, seizure, eye bleeding, low Apgar score. (Activity, Pulse, Grimace, Appearance, and Respiration).
• Mother: Low blood pressure, fast heart rate, nasal irritation, runny nose, tears (following nasal admin); uterine bleeding, violent contractions, increased tone of uterus and spasm, nausea, vomiting.
• Heart: Premature ventricular contractions, hypertensive episodes.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea and vomiting.
• Metabolic-Nutritional: Water intoxication with convulsion, coma, and death.
• Miscellaneous: Severe allergic reactions, absence of fibrinogen in the plasma that could be fatal, blood clot in pelvic region.
Risk of water intoxication when used at high doses for prolonged periods.
Intravenous: Store at 2-8 °C. Nasal: Store at 2-8 °C. It is usually handled and stored by a health care provider.
Drug hypersensitivity is an adverse reaction that occurs due to an interaction between a drug and ...
Stiff joints are a major problem for the elderly, as the joints tend to wear-and-tear with ...
Uterine/Endometrial cancer is the sixth most common cancer in women worldwide. Uterine cancer ...View All