This medication is a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI), and active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) prescribed for the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type 1 either alone or with other medications.
Contraindicated in patients who are taking antimigraine, benzodiazepines, calcium channel blocker, GI motility agent, neuroleptic drugs, St. John's wort, and known hypersensitivity.
Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 600 mg, once daily.
It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, on an empty stomach.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of high cholesterol, kidney problem, liver problems, seizures, mental illness, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or trouble in concentrating, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Since it does not stop the spread of HIV to others, avoid sexual contact, sharing of needles and injection supplies.
• Extreme caution needed in children less than 3 years old.
• Monitor liver function and cholesterol level while taking this medication.
• ♦Patient may develop Immune Reconstitution Syndrome.
• Most Common :
Dizziness, nausea, headache, fatigue, sleeplessness and vomiting.
• Body as a Whole : Allergic reactions, weakness and redistribution/accumulation of body fat.
• Central Nervous System : Poor concentration, drowsiness, abnormal dreaming, emotion, confusion, agitation, memory loss, hallucinations, stupor, abnormal thinking and depersonalization.
• Genitourinary : Breast enlargement in male.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation and malabsorption.
• Heart : Flushing and palpitations.
• Liver : Increase in liver enzyme and liver failure/inflammation.
• Metabolic : Increased level of cholesterol in blood.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain and joint pain.
• Respiratory : Difficulty in breathing.
♦• Skin : Redness of the skin, rash and Stevens-Johnson syndrome.
• Eye and ENT : Abnormal vision and ringing in the ear.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15- 25° C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Collagen plays a crucial role in glowing skin, strong nails and shiny hair. You can boost collagen ...
CRISPR technology is a simple but potent tool for editing any part of the genome (complete set of ...
FDA recently approved Mogamulizumab-kpkc, a human monoclonal antibody prescribed for adult ...View All