Complications of Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis
Diverticulitis could result in complications like perforation, abscess, stricture, fistula formation, bowel obstruction or sepsis.
Complication of diverticulosis includes bleeding. In addition, the diverticula may get inflamed and result in diverticulitis. Complications of diverticulitis are:
- Abscess – The diverticulum could get infected and result in an abscess
- Perforation: The abscess may burst resulting in infection of the inner lining of the abdomen or peritonitis.
- Stricture: The portion of the inflamed intestine may subsequently stiffen resulting in the formation of a stricture. The stricture could cause bowel obstruction
- Fistula: The burst diverticulum on healing may form an abnormal tract or fistula that connects the intestine with the skin, vagina or urinary tract. In such cases, the patient may pass stool through the skin, vagina, or may pass air through the urinary tract
- Obstruction of the bowel
- Sepsis or widespread infection in the blood that could lead to death
Small bowel diverticula may also be associated with liver or pancreatic disease.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2016, April 07). Complications of Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis. Medindia. Retrieved on May 25, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diverticulosis-and-diverticulitis-complications.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Complications of Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis". Medindia. May 25, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diverticulosis-and-diverticulitis-complications.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Complications of Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diverticulosis-and-diverticulitis-complications.htm. (accessed May 25, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Complications of Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis. Medindia, viewed May 25, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diverticulosis-and-diverticulitis-complications.htm.