This medication is a carbapenem antibiotic, prescribed for bacterial infections like skin and skin structure infections, bacterial meningitis, serious nosocomial infections like septicaemia, febrile neutropenia, intraabdominal and pelvic infections. The medication inhibits cell wall synthesis in bacteria, and thereby leading to cell death.
IV- The recommended dose is 0.5 gm to 2 gm (10 to 40mg/kg) by slow infusion, 3 times per day.
It comes as a solution for injection, administered by a healthcare provider, into the vein.
• Caution needed for patients with history of hypersensitivity to carbapenem, pencillin or other beta-lactam antibiotics; infants <3 months; kidney malfunction, neurological disorders, pregnancy, and breastfeeding.
• Not recommended for use in MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) infections.
• Body as a Whole:
Pain, abdominal pain, chest pain, fever, back pain, abdominal enlargement, chills and pelvic pain.
• Heart: Heart failure, heart arrest, fast/slow heart rate, high/low blood pressure, heart attack, blood clot in lungs and fainting.
• Gastrointestinal: Oral infection, loss of appetite, indigestion and intestinal obstruction.
• Blood: Anemia and increased blood volume.
• Metabolic: Peripheral edema and poor oxygen supply.
• Central Nervous System : Sleeplessness, agitation, confusion, dizziness, seizure, tingling, hallucinations, drowsiness, anxiety, depression and weakness.
• Respiratory : Respiratory disorder, difficulty in breathing, wheezing, pleural effusion, asthma, cough increased and lung swelling.
• Skin : Hives, sweating and skin ulcer.
• Genitourinary: Painful urination, kidney failure, vaginal infection and urinary incontinence.
• Liver: Jaundice and liver failure.
• Potentially Fatal: Anaphylaxis and Stevens-Johnsons sydrome.
Long term or repeated use of this medication may cause secondary infection.
Injection: Once reconstituted, up to 2 hour at room temperature (15-25ï¿½C) or up to 12 hour at refrigerator (4ï¿½C).
Pets can give you diseases. Surprised? You may love your pet but beware! Your pets might be ...
Water is essential to balance body fluids, boost brain function, improve digestion, prevent ...
Drug hypersensitivity is an adverse reaction that occurs due to an interaction between a drug and ...View All