Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - About
Other Names: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, NHL and 'Lymphoma'.
A lymphoma is a cancer that affects the lymph tissues found in the lymph nodes, spleen, thymus, adenoids and tonsils, stomach and the intestinal tract.
Lymphomas are primarily categorized into two main types -Hodgkins Lymphoma and Non -Hodgkins Lymphoma.
Hodgkins Lymphoma (HL), was first identified as a new disease by Dr. Thomas Hodgkin in 1832. All other lymphomas are grouped as non-Hodgkins lymphomas.
Although the disease has the potential to develop in any part of the body, they are usually initiated in the lymph nodes, neck, armpit or groin. Due to the connections between the Central Nervous System (CNS) and the lymphocytes, lymphomas may first arise in the brain or CNS, not necessarily due to metastasis. The malignant cells then reach out to the other lymph nodes through the lymphatic system. They further spread to other organs through the bloodstream.
Certain categories of NHLs bear a semblance to certain leukemias such as the
Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - Reference:
- J. Occup. Environ. Med2002 May; 44(5): 469-74
"Occupation and risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia".
Zheng T, Blair A, Zhang Y, Weisenburger DD, Zahm SH.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2020, May 21). Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Medindia. Retrieved on Sep 22, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/non-hodgkin-lymphoma.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma". Medindia. Sep 22, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/non-hodgkin-lymphoma.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/non-hodgkin-lymphoma.htm. (accessed Sep 22, 2023).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2020. Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Medindia, viewed Sep 22, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/non-hodgkin-lymphoma.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma
- Novel Treatment Strategies in the Management of Waldenström Macroglobulinemia. - Published by PubMed
- Oral manifestation of indolent T-cell lymphoproliferative disorder of the gastrointestinal tract: a potential diagnostic pitfall. - Published by PubMed
- Concomitant Orbital Tumours: Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma Involving the Lacrimal Gland of a Patient with Clinical Diagnoses of Muir-Torre Syndrome and Extensive Sebaceous Gland Carcinoma of the Ipsilateral Eyelid. - Published by PubMed
- 18F-fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography in the diagnosis and follow-up of primary hepatic diffuse large B-cell Lymphoma: A clinical case report. - Published by PubMed
- Differences in cancer survival by area-level socio-economic disadvantage: A population-based study using cancer registry data. - Published by PubMed