by Madhumathi Palaniappan on  February 4, 2017 at 11:59 AM Health Watch
Highlights
  • Peroxides are compounds containing two oxygen molecules that are linked together.
  • Peroxide ingestion promoted by using alternative medicines can lead to life-threatening conditions.
  • Inhaling oxygen can be a treatment option to benefit patients from high-concentrations of peroxide ingestion.

An increased concentration of peroxide promoted in alternative medicine may lead to numerous life-threatening ailments and death.

The research paper on the "Outcomes Following High Concentration Peroxide Ingestions" were published in Annals of Emergency Medicine.
Alternative Medicines Promoting Peroxide Ingestion Can be Deadly

Benjamin Hatten, MD,MPH, University of Colorado School of Medicine in Aurora, Colo, said, "Ingesting high-concentration peroxide can cause embolisms affecting the cardiac, respiratory and neurological systems, leading to permanent disability or death."


"Though touted by the alternative and complementary medicine communities as 'super water,' peroxide should not be ingested for any reason. Because there are also industrial uses, some ingestions have been accidental because of its resemblance to water."

After examining 10 years of poison control records for high-concentration peroxide ingestion (peroxide concentrations greater than 10% ), Dr.Hatten found that around 14% of patients had embolic events and around 6.8% cases either died or exhibited continued disability.

High-concentration of peroxide ingestion associated with Life-threatening ailments

  • Seizure
  • Altered mental status
  • Respiratory distress
  • Stroke
  • Pulmonary embolism
  • Heart attack
Treatment that involves patients inhaling 100% oxygen may help to benefit patient's outcome. Tissue injuries caused by chemical reaction is rare and routine endoscopy is not beneficial.

Dr. Hatten, said, "This product is meant to be used by the dropper and then diluted, yet we encountered many cases where it was stored at full strength in a clear vessel in the refrigerator."

"This is a caustic liquid, and as with many poison prevention efforts, we recommend keeping this product in its original container and adding both child-resistant capping and a colorizing agent to reduce the possibility of accidental ingestion."

What are Peroxides?
Peroxides are compounds which contain two oxygen atoms that are linked together. Ingesting peroxides with a concentration greater than 10% may lead to life-threatening conditions.

Peroxide Poisoning
Symptoms of peroxide poisoning include

  • Abdominal pain
  • Eye burns
  • Breathing difficulty
  • Body ache
  • Chest pain
  • Seizures
  • Swelling in the stomach
References
  1. Benjamin W. Hatten et al, Outcomes After High-Concentration Peroxide Ingestions, Annals of Emergency Medicine (2017). DOI: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2016.11.022
  2. Hydrogen peroxide poisoning - (https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002652.htm)


Source: Medindia

Most Popular on Medindia

More News on: