- World Heart Day 2016 is celebrated to raise awareness about the need to look after the heart and lower the risk of heart disease.
- The theme for this year’s World Heart Day is ‘Power your life’
- Quitting smoking, eating a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight are key factors to a healthy heart.
Heart disease and stroke lead to the loss of 17.3 million lives every year, with an expected increase in premature deaths due to heart conditions rising to about 23 million by the year 2030. This is a reflection of the poor lifestyle habits that are rampant in society and which stress the need to focus on heart health. The World Heart Day aims at raising awareness about leading a heart healthy life that hopes to lower the risk of premature death due to heart conditions.
World Heart DayWorld Heart Day was started in the year 2000 and was proposed by Antoni Bayés de Luna who was the President of the World Heart Foundation. It was initially celebrated on the last Sunday of September but since the year 2011, it is celebrated every 29th September.
Theme for World Heart Day 2016- Power your LifeThe theme for World Heart Day is based on focusing attention on key aspects that will help in improving heart health. This year's theme is 'power your life' which is aimed at understanding the risk for a heart disease. This would mean
- Visiting the doctor to carry out tests to understand the health of the heart.
- To check blood pressure
- To check blood glucose levels
- To check for the level of cholesterol
- To check the Body Mass Index
‘Quit smoking - this is the biggest first step to decreasing your risk for heart disease.’
Speaking specifically about the World Heart Day, Dr Bhujang added "Heart Day was initiated to spread one message that heart problems can now be prevented. So this World Heart Day, let's make sure we all take action to keep our hearts healthy and make a lasting difference to our health"
Lowering Risk of Heart Disease Using Easy Lifestyle Hacks
- Stop Smoking Cigarettes: Quitting smoking will greatly lower the risk for heart disease.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: A diet is a very important component in maintaining good health. A heart healthy diet that is low in fried food and high in nutrition will not only benefit the heart but the whole body.
- Quit Alcohol: Quitting alcohol is another sure fire step to a heart healthy lifestyle.
- Lower Stress: A stress free life, though impossible, is an ideal setting for good heart health. Taking up Yoga or tai chi would set the pace for lowering stress.
- Stay Physically Active: Staying active will keep the heart pumping well and even a moderate amount of exercise everyday will lower the risk of premature death due to heart disease.
- Lifestyle Changes for Heart Attack Prevention - http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/LifeAfteraHeartAttack/Lifest yle-Changes-for-Heart-Attack-Prevention_UCM_303934_Article.jsp#.V-tKilR97IU)
- About World Heart Day - (http://www.myheart.org.sg/article/community- education/national-heart-week--world-heart-day/about/111)
- Take action! - (http://www.world- heart-federation.org/what-we-do/world-heart-day/take-action/)
- World Heart Day - (http://www.world-heart-federation.org/what-we-do/world-heart-day/)
- << New Imaging Agent Reveals Concussion Related Brain Disease I...
- Dietary Assessment Methods Validated Using Carotenoids and A... >>