Generic : Levocarnitine
₹ 366.75 500mg 10s
Levocarnitine is a substance that occurs naturally in the body. It helps the body to use long chain fatty acids as a source of energy.
Adults: The maximum oral dose is 990 mg administered in two or three divided doses.
Infants and children: The oral dosage to be started with 50mg/kg/day. The recommended dose is between 50 and 100mg/kg/day in divided doses. The dose should not exceed 3g/day.
Injections dosage for adults and children:
• Carnitine deficiency: The normal dose is 50mg/kg bodyweight injected into the vein.
• Patients with kidney failure undergoing hemodialysis: The usual dose is 10 to 20 mg/kg bodyweight daily after dialysis.
GI Tract - Diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea, constipation
Central nervous system - Headache, dizziness, paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), taste perversion, seizures
Cardio vascular system - Fluctuations in blood pressure, palpitations, atrial fibrillation and abnormal ECG
Musculoskeletal - Rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of muscle)
Metabolic - Hypertriglyceridemia associated with high doses in dialysis patients, hypercalcemia (high blood calcium levels), hypervolemia
Respiratory - Increase in cough frequency, pharyngitis and breathlessness
Allergic reaction: Rashes, itching. A serious allergic reaction may rarely occur
Others - Depression, fishy body odor, fever
• Levocarnitine is available in the form of tablet, powder and injection. The oral solutions or tablets should be taken with food to avoid a stomach upset.
• If more than one dose is needed in a day, an adequate time interval should be maintained between the doses.
Levocarnitine should not be taken by patients who develop a severe allergy to the drug.
• In severe kidney disease, accumulation of the drug could occur in patients who consume it for long periods.
• An increase in the frequency of seizures and worsening of existing seizure disorder may occur.
• Avoid excess dose.
• Levocarnitine could increase the risk of bleeding in patients taking warfarin. Therefore, the patients should be monitored through a regular blood test that measures the warfarin activity (INR or International Normalized Ration).
• Herbal supplements such as ginkgo biloba should be avoided as the combination could increase the risk of seizures.
• Store at room temperature away from light and moisture. Do not freeze.
• Keep out of reach of children.