This medication is a corticosteroid, prescribed for arthritis, skin, blood, kidney, eye, thyroid and intestinal disorders, severe allergies and asthma. It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.
Contraindicated in patients with low platelet counts and hypersensitivity.
PO- The recommended dose range is 4 to 32mg/day.
IM/IV- The recommended dose range is 5 to 40mg/day.
It comes as a tablet and oral liquid to take by mouth, with food. It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein or muscle.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver, kidney, intestinal, heart disease, diabetes, under active thyroid gland, high blood pressure, mental illness, myasthenia gravis, osteoporosis, herpes eye infection, seizures, tuberculosis (TB), ulcer, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Avoid contact with people who have infection.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly.
• Monitor body weight and heart function regularly while taking this medication.
• Allergic Reactions :
Anaphylactoid reactions and angioedema.
• Heart : Slow/fast heart rate, heart block, heart enlargement, poor blood circulation, fat accumulation, high blood pressure, heart attack, fainting, lung swelling and blood clots.
• Skin : Pimples, skin inflammation, dry scaly skin, redness, pigmentation, impaired wound healing, increased sweating, rash, thin fragile skin, thinning of scalp hair and hives.
• Metabolic : Abnormal hair growth and menstrual regularities.
• Gastrointestinal : Abdominal distention, bowel/bladder dysfunction, elevation in serum liver enzyme level, liver enlargement, increased appetite, nausea, peptic ulcer and stomach bleeding.
• Musculoskeletal : Necrosis of thighbone, joint pain/inflammation, loss of muscle mass and muscle weakness.
• Central Nervous System : Convulsions, depression, emotional instability, emotional state, headache, stroke, sleeplessness, mood swings, nerve disease, tingling, personality changes and psychic disorders.
• Eye : Increased eye pressure.
• Miscellaneous : Abnormal fat deposits, decreased resistance to infection, hiccups, increased or decreased motility and sperm numbers, uneasiness, moon face and weight gain.
Store it at room temperature (25°C) and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Acanthosis nigricans is a skin condition in which discoloration and hyperpigmentation of the skin ...
Gastrointestinal bleeding refers to hemorrhage that occurs from one or more portions of the ...
Simple, quick, and easy methods can be included in your diet or exercise routine, which can help ...View All