This medication is an atypical antipsychotic, prescribed for schizophrenia. It changes the activity of certain natural substances in the brain.
PO- Adult – The recommended initial dose is 5 to 10 mg once a day. Maintenance: 10 mg/day to 20 mg/day.
Adolescents- The recommended starting dose is 2.5 or 5 mg/day.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver, stomach problems, enlarged prostate, increased eye pressure, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS), lung disease, suicidal thoughts, heart attack, irregular heartbeat, seizures, obesity, breast cancer, difficulty in swallowing, high/low blood pressure, sugar, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Drink adequate fluids to avoid becoming over heated or dehydration; otherwise it may cause heat stroke.
• It may raise blood sugar with increased thirsty, drowsiness or confusion; if it so consult with your doctor.
• ♦Patient may develop Post-injection Delirium Sedation Syndrome (PDSS) within 3 hours after administration of this medication.
• Body as a Whole :
Weakness, back pain, accidental injury and chest pain.
• Central Nervous System : Drowsiness, tremor, depression, dizziness, speech disorder, memory loss, tingling, confusion, emotion and incoordination.
• Heart : High blood pressure and fast heart rate.
• Gastrointestinal : Dry mouth, increased appetite/thirst, constipation and increased salivation.
• Metabolic : Weight gain and swelling in the extremities.
• Respiratory : Difficulty in breathing and lung inflammation.
• Skin : Increased sweating, pimples and dry skin.
• Eye : Abnormal vision.
• Genitourinary : Painful menstrual period and vaginal infection.
Avoid contact with people who have infections.
Store it at controlled room temperature (20° - 25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!