Information about Bacampicillin
Generic Name : Bacampicillin
Pronunciation : ba- kam- pi- SILL- in
Latest prescription information about Bacampicillin. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
ICD Code : Y40.0
Therapeutic Classification : Antibiotics
Trade Names/Brand Names of Bacampicillin
Why is Bacampicillin Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is a penicillin antibiotic, prescribed for susceptible infections and uncomplicated gonorrhea. It fights against bacteria in the body.
When should Bacampicillin not be taken? (Contraindications)
Contraindicated in patients with infectious mononucleosis, blood cancer, HIV infection, and hypersensitivity.
What is the dosage of Bacampicillin?
PO- Susceptible infections- 400-800mg 2-3 times/day. Uncomplicated gonorrhoea with probenecid: 1.6g as a single dose.
How should Bacampicillin be taken?
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
What are the warnings and precautions for Bacampicillin?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney disease, stomach or intestinal disease, or infectious mononucleosis, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid very high doses; otherwise it may cause neurotoxicity or heart failure.
• Monitor serum potassium concentration, kidney and complete blood counts regularly while taking this medication.
• Avoid intrathecal route.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it may cause secondary infection.
• Discontinue in case of skin rash.
What are the side effects of Bacampicillin?
• Hypersensitivity :
Allergic reactions including hives, fever, joint pains, rashes, angioedema and serum sickness-like reactions.
• Blood :
Decrease in blood counts.
• Gastrointestinal :
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and intestinal inflammation.
What are the other precautions for Bacampicillin?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Bacampicillin?
Store it at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Schedule : H
Prescription drugs - Drugs to be sold only under the prescription of a Registered Medical Practitioner.