This medication is a penicillin antibiotic, prescribed for susceptible infections and uncomplicated gonorrhea. It fights against bacteria in the body.
Contraindicated in patients with infectious mononucleosis, blood cancer, HIV infection, and hypersensitivity.
PO- Susceptible infections- 400-800mg 2-3 times/day. Uncomplicated gonorrhoea with probenecid: 1.6g as a single dose.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney disease, stomach or intestinal disease, or infectious mononucleosis, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid very high doses; otherwise it may cause neurotoxicity or heart failure.
• Monitor serum potassium concentration, kidney and complete blood counts regularly while taking this medication.
• Avoid intrathecal route.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it may cause secondary infection.
• Discontinue in case of skin rash.
• Hypersensitivity :
Allergic reactions including hives, fever, joint pains, rashes, angioedema and serum sickness-like reactions.
• Blood : Decrease in blood counts.
• Gastrointestinal : Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and intestinal inflammation.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!