Aliskiren alone or in combination with other drugs used to treat essential or primary hypertension, a form of hypertension that occurs with no identifiable cause. It helps to relax the blood vessels and makes the heart to pump the blood effectively.
This medication is a renin inhibitor decreases the substances that lead to high blood pressure.
Contraindicated in patients with angioedema, pregnancy, who are taking cyclosporine and hypersensitivity.
Do not use aliskiren with angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) and the angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEIs)in patients with diabetes.
PO- The usual recommended starting dose is 150 mg once daily. Maximum: 300mg.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of gout, heart problems, kidney problems, kidney dialysis, diabetes, stroke, heart attack or kidney transplant, dehydration, low blood volume, any allergy, who are taking other medications, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting, do not drive a car or operate machinery, get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• It may cause dehydration, excessive sweating, vomiting or diarrhea, which leads to low blood pressure and severe allergic reactions; if it is so consult with your doctor.
Diarrhea and indigestion.
• Central Nervous System: Headache, dizziness, fatigue and epilepsy.
• Metabolic: Increased level of liver enzymes, Blood Urea Nitrogen and anemia.
Monitor blood pressure, blood electrolyte levels and kidney function regularly while taking this medication.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!