Abatacept modifies the immune system in patients with rheumatoid arthritis who were not benefited from other treatments.
Abatacept blocks the activity of a type of immune cell responsible for causing damage and swelling to the joints.
Dose is based on body weight and condition of the patient. Weight < 60 kg should receive 500 mg dose, weight 60-100 kg a 750 mg dose and weight >100 kg a 1000 mg dose.
Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis- Pediatric patients weighing less than 75 kg: receive 10 mg/kg.
It is administered as an injection into the vein (intravenously), or as a solution for subcutaneous (under the skin) injection by a healthcare provider every 2 weeks for the first 3 doses and then every 4 weeks.
• Patient may develop with serious infections and tumor. Caution should be exercised in patients with history of lung, nerve diseases (e.g. multiple sclerosis), cancer, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), tuberculosis (TB), severe combined immunodeficiency syndrome (SCID), cut or open sore, diabetes (especially if you are checking your blood sugar level at home), during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid vaccination while taking this medication.
Infection and cancer.
• Central Nervous System : Headache and dizziness.
• Respiratory : Upper respiratory tract infection and inflammation of nasopharynx.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, indigestion and severe abdominal pain.
• Skin : Rash, red or painful skin, hives.
• Miscellaneous: Cough, fever, tiredeness, flu-like symptoms, or warm, swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, or throat, back pain, high blood pressure, indigestion, heartburn, night sweats, urinary tract infection, change in the amount of urine and pain in arms and legs.
• Side effects in children : Upper respiratory tract infection, inflammation of nasopharynx, headache, nausea, diarrhea, cough and abdominal pain.
Avoid excess dosage.
It should not be used as a first-line drug for the treatment.
Normally handled and stored by healthcare providers in refrigerator. Do not freeze and keep it away from light.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!