Generic Name : Desmopressin Pronunciation : des moe press' in Therapeutic Classification : Hormones ICD Code : Y42
India- Des-Press Inhalation Soln, D-Pressin Nasal Spray, D-Pressin Tab, D-Void N-Spray, Minirin Inj, Minirin Nasal Spray, Minirin Tab.
International- DDAV. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an antidiuretic synthetic hormone, prescribed for primary nocturnal enuresis (nighttime bedwetting). It is also used for coagulation disorders and diabetes. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients with severe kidney disease, low blood sodium level and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Hemophilia A and von Willebrand's Disease- IV- The recommended dose is 4mcg/ml at a dose of 0.3 mcg DDAVP/kg body weight diluted in sterile physiological saline and infused slowly over 15 to 30 minutes.
Diabetes Insipidus: IV/SC- The usual dosage range in adults is 0.5 mL (2.0 mcg) to 1 mL (4.0 mcg) daily.
Adult: PO- The recommended initial dose is 100 mcg 3 times/day. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein or muscle. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney, heart, liver disease, high blood pressure, dehydration, fever, severe infection, vomiting, diarrhea, electrolyte imbalance, drowsiness, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children especially for children less than 6 years old, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* It may lead to dehydration; drink adequate fluid.
* Patient may develop with infections, fever, vomiting or diarrhea; if it is so consult with your doctor. Side Effects :
Headache, nausea, flushing and mild abdominal cramps.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at controlled room temperature 20 to 25°C and in an airtight container. Keep away from children. Store the liquid in the refrigerator, do not freeze it.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert