Vitamin C / Ascorbic acid - Getting to know it!
Vitamin C or Ascorbic acid is a water-soluble, anti-oxidant vitamin.
The most important function of this vitamin is to boost the immunity and to supply the body with anti-oxidative power. It is also needed for the synthesis of collagen (structural component of blood vessels, bones, ligaments, and tendons) and dentin (structural component of teeth).
Vitamin C is an 'enediol-lactone' of an acid. The naturally occurring form of the vitamin is L-ascorbic acid, and is structurally similar to L-glucose.
Being an anti-oxidant, it protects proteins and genetic material (RNA and DNA) from free radical damage.
Latest Publications and Research on Vitamin C / Ascorbic acid
- Synergistic effect of ascorbic acid and taurine in the treatment of a spinal cord injury-induced model in rats. - Published by PubMed
- Mechanical strength, structural and hydration properties of ethanol-treated starch tablets and their impact on the release of active ingredients. - Published by PubMed
- Combined treatment of epi-brassinolide and NaCl enhances the main phytochemicals in Chinese kale sprouts. - Published by PubMed
- Preparative isolation and purification of twelve main antioxidants from the roots of Polygonum multiflorum Thunb using high-speed counter-current chromatography and preparative HPLC guided by 1, 1'-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl-HPLC. - Published by PubMed
- Impact of varying agrometeorological indices on peel color and composition of Kinnow fruit (Citrus nobilis Lour x Citrus deliciosa Tenora) grown at different ecological zones. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2016, February 14). Vitamin C / Ascorbic acid-Toxicity-Supplements-Vitamin B6-Vitamin B9-Vitamin B12. Medindia. Retrieved on May 19, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/vitaminc.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Vitamin C / Ascorbic acid-Toxicity-Supplements-Vitamin B6-Vitamin B9-Vitamin B12". Medindia. May 19, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/vitaminc.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Vitamin C / Ascorbic acid-Toxicity-Supplements-Vitamin B6-Vitamin B9-Vitamin B12". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/vitaminc.htm. (accessed May 19, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Vitamin C / Ascorbic acid-Toxicity-Supplements-Vitamin B6-Vitamin B9-Vitamin B12. Medindia, viewed May 19, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/vitaminc.htm.
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
12 years experience
Health and Nutrify clinic, Serlingampally
7 years experience