The most typical symptoms of hypersomnia are:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness leading to prolonged naps that are not refreshing.
- Nocturnal sleep of long duration (as much as 12 hr or more)
- Sleep drunkenness
- Difficulty in awakening the patients from sleep
- Episodes of automatic behavior may also be present.
- Idiopathic hypersomnia is characterized by long periods involving episodes of excessive daytime sleepiness. Most of the time the symptoms are present.
- Some people with this disorder experience automatic behavior such as:
- Cold hands and feet
- Depression symptoms
b. Post - traumatic Hypersomnia:
- Post - traumatic hypersomnia may mimic idiopathic hypersomnia.
- Primary Hypersomnia - (http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3129.htm)
- Hypersomnia - (http://www.sleepdisordersguide.com/hypersomnia.html)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Anitha Paderla. (2013, April 19). Symptoms. Medindia. Retrieved on Jul 02, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_disorder_hypersomnia_symptoms_idiopathic.htm.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Symptoms". Medindia. Jul 02, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_disorder_hypersomnia_symptoms_idiopathic.htm>.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Symptoms". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_disorder_hypersomnia_symptoms_idiopathic.htm. (accessed Jul 02, 2022).
Dr. Anitha Paderla. 2021. Symptoms. Medindia, viewed Jul 02, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_disorder_hypersomnia_symptoms_idiopathic.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
2 years experience
V. N. Clinic, Namakkal
5 years experience
6 years experience
4 years experience