This medication is a central nervous system stimulant, prescribed for attention deficit disorder (ADD) and daytime sleep (narcolepsy). It works by changing the amounts of certain natural substances in the brain.
Contraindicated in patients with increased eye pressure, tics, anxiety, tension, agitation, along with MAOIs or within 14 days of treatment with MAOIS, and hypersensitivity.
PO- ADD- Child- 0.25mg/kg/day. Adult: 5 – 10mg/day.
Adult: PO- Narcolepsy- 20-30 mg/day in divided doses. Effective range: 10-60 mg/day.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth either on an empty stomach or with food as directed by your physician.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of high blood pressure, heart disease, seizures, overactive thyroid, chronic fatigue, cystic fibrosis, stomach problem, mental disorders, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It may cause serious side effects such as heart attack, stroke, and sudden death in heart patients. Consult with your doctor before taking this medication.
• Monitor blood pressure, heart function, complete blood cell counts regularly while taking this medication.
• It should not be used in children less than 6 years.
• Most Common :
Nervousness, difficulty in sleeping, skin rash, loss of appetite, dizziness, drowsiness, palpitations, fever, sore throat, unusual bleeding or bruising.
• Heart : Chest pain, abnormal heart rhythm, palpitations, high/low blood pressure and increased or decreased pulse rate.
• Gastrointestinal : Abdominal pain and nausea.
• Hypersensitivity reactions : Skin inflammation, hives, fever and joint pain.
• Metabolic : Weight loss during prolonged therapy.
• Central Nervous System : Movement disorder, headache and depression.
• Blood : Decrease in white blood cells and anemia.
• Skin : Hair loss.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (25°C), away from heat and light.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!