This medication stimulates the brain; hence it is used as a central nervous stimulant. It is used along with analgesics and/or ergotamine for migraine (severe headaches with nausea). It is also used for a breathing condition (apnea) in premature infants.
Do not administer solutions containing sodium benzoate to children.
It may be administered orally at a dose of 100-200 mg , repeated after 3-4 hours as needed. For apnea in premature babies, it is administered intravenously or orally at an initial dose of 20 mg/kg, followed by 5 mg/kg/day.
It comes as a tablet, capsule to take by mouth. It is also available in injection, administered by the healthcare providers, directly into the vein.
• While taking this medication avoid drinking excess amount of caffeine- containing drinks.
• Though caffeine may increase alertness, it can cause dizziness. Hence avoid doing anything that requires concentration and can cause disability or death in case of an accident, e.g. driving a car or operating machinery.
• It is not to be used as a substitute for sleep.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, stomach problems (peptic ulcer), seizures, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• Central Nervous System:
Confusion, dizziness, sleeplessness, restlessness, excitement, nervousness, tinnitus, light depression and fatigue, visual disturbance, muscular tremor, headache, lightheadedness, seizures.
• Heart: Fast heart rate, abnormal heart rhythm.
• Gastrointestinal: Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, necrotizing enterocolitis, gastritis.
• Skin: Rash, dry skin.
• Genitourinary: Increased urination.
• Metabolic: Low sugar.
• Respiratory: Difficulty in breathing.
• Miscellaneous: Hypersensitivity (eg, dermatitis, rhinitis, bronchial asthma), feeding intolerance, sepsis, accidental injury, stroke.
• In premature infants, caffeine in addition may cause the following side effects: Skin breakdown, damage to the retina of the eye, bleeding from gastrointestinal tract, kidney failure, increased clotting of blood, acidosis, accumulation of water in the lungs and bleeding in the brain.
Do not change the dose without consulting with your doctor.
Store it 25°C. Store it in air tight container and keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!