This medication is a central nervous system stimulant, prescribed for attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity in children and sleep disorder (narcolepsy). It changes the amount of certain natural substances in the brain.
Contraindicated in patients with hardening of the arteries, blood vessel disease, uncontrolled high blood pressure, overactive thyroid, increased eye pressure, mood or mental problems, heart diseases, alcohol abuse, within 14 days following the administration of monoamine oxidase inhibitors and hypersensitivity.
PO- Usual dose is 5 to 60 mg per day in divided doses, depending on the individual patient response.
It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart problems, high blood pressure, seizures, abnormal electorencephalogram (EEG), growth problems, thyroid deficiency, hardening blood vessels, recent heart attack, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid taking this medication at bedtime; otherwise it may cause sleeplessness.
• Avoid taking large amount caffeinated beverages.
• It should not be used in children less than 3 years old.
• Avoid abrupt withdrawal; withdraw gradually.
• Most frequent :
Loss of appetite, sleeplessness, dizziness, emotional lability, depression, anxiety, headache, weakness and fast heart rate.
• General : Abdominal pain, (stomach ache), fever, infection, accidental injury and fatigue.
• Gastrointestinal : Dry mouth, vomiting, nausea and indigestion.
• Central Nervous System : Nervousness and dizziness.
• Metabolic : Weight loss.
• Genitourinary : Impotence and changes in sexual drive.
• Allergic reactions : Hives.
Avoid excess dosage and long-term use of this medication.
Store as per directions on label.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!