This medication is an anticonvulsant drug, prescribed for epilepsy and bipolar disorder, as well as trigeminal neuralgia. It works by reducing or blocking certain responses in the brain.
Contraindicated in patients with bone marrow depression, co administration with nefazodone, MAOIs or within last 14 days and hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO Epilepsy Initial: 100-200 mg 1-2 times/day, may increase slowly. Maintenance: 0.8-1.2 g/day in divided doses. Max: 2 g/day.
Prophylaxis of bipolar disorder Initial: 400 mg/day in divided doses may increase slowly. Maintenance: 400-600 mg/day. Max: 1.6 g/day.
Trigeminal neuralgia Initial: 100 mg 1-2 times/day, may increase slowly. Maintenance: 400-800 mg/day in 2-4 divided doses. Max: 1.2 g/day.
Rectal Epilepsy -250 mg 6 hourly.
Children 6-12 years of age – Initial- Either 100 mg b.i.d. for tablets or XR tablets, or ˝ teaspoon q.i.d. for suspension (200 mg/day).
Children 6 years of age – Initial- 10-20 mg/kg/day b.i.d. or t.i.d. as tablets, or q.i.d. as suspension.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, with food.
• Most frequent : Dizziness, drowsiness, unsteadiness, nausea and vomiting.
• Blood : Anemia, decrease in blood cell counts and bruising.
♦ • Skin : Skin disorder, itching, redness, rash, hives, photosensitivity reactions, pigmentation, inflammation, hair loss, increased sweating and Onychomadesis.
• Heart : Congestive heart failure, swelling, high/low blood pressure, fainting, collapse, vein inflammation, blood clots in vein and swollen glands.
• Liver: Abnormalities in liver function tests, jaundice and liver inflammation.
• Respiratory : Fever, difficulty in breathing or pneumonia due to allergic reactions.
• Genitourinary : Urinary frequency, urinary retention, elevation of blood urea nitrogen (BUN), kidney failure and impotence.
• Gastrointestinal : Abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite, dryness of the mouth and pharynx and mouth ulcer.
Avoid contact with people with any infection.
It may reduce platelet counts, avoid injury or bruising.
Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may lead to sunburn.
Store it at room temperature.