This medication is an antimanic agent, prescribed for acute mania and bipolar disorder. It works by decreasing abnormal activity in the brain.
Contraindicated in patients who are taking angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, dehydration, and hypersensitivity.
PO- The recommended dose range is 600 – 1200 mg/day.
It comes as a tablet, capsule, and oral liquid to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with brain syndrome, thyroid, heart or kidney disease, severe diarrhea, excessive sweating, fever, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Most Common :
Diarrhea, vomiting, drowsiness, muscular weakness and lack of coordination.
• Central Nervous System : Tremor, seizures, slurred speech, dizziness, fainting, night blindness, urinary incontinence, restlessness, confusion, stupor, coma, tongue movements, tics, ringing in the ear, hallucinations, poor memory, slowed intellectual functioning, startled response, worsening of organic brain syndrome and myasthenia gravis.
• Heart : Abnormal heart rhythm, low blood pressure, poor blood circulation and slow heart rate.
• Gastrointestinal : Loss of appetite, nausea, salivary gland swelling, abdominal pain, excessive salivation, flatulence and indigestion.
• Genitourinary : Increased glucose in urine, less urination, increased level of blood sugar with symptoms including increased urination and thirst.
• Skin : Drying and thinning of hair, hair loss, pimples, itching, rash and skin ulcers.
• Autonomic : Blurred vision, dry mouth and impotence/sexual dysfunction.
• Metabolic : Goiter.
Avoid excess dosage.
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!