Types of Fibroids in Uterus
Subserous fibroids are located outside of the lining of the uterus.
Fibroids are of five types:
- Interstitial or intramural myomas are the commonest (75%) and lie within the wall of the uterus
- Subserous fibroids are located outside of the lining of the uterus. They protrude outward. Some may have peduncles (pedunculated fibroids)
- Submucous fibroids are located inside the lining of the uterus. They may cause heavy bleeding and prolonged periods.
- Cervical fibroids are rare. They may compress the bladder.
- Broad ligament fibroids may originate from the uterus and invade the broad ligament or it can originate from the broad ligament itself. Broad ligament is a fold of tissue that attaches the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries to the pelvic sidewall.
- Shaw's Textbook of Gynecology, 14/E by V.G. Padubidri, Shirish N. Daftary
- The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy Eighteenth Edition
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Nithin Jayan. (2018, July 06). Types of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-types.htm.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Types of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-types.htm>.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Types of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-types.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Dr. Nithin Jayan. 2021. Types of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-types.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
28 years experience
Mangai Womens Health Exclusive, ANNANAGAR
12 years experience
apollo hospital, navi mumbai