About My Health Careers Internship MedBlogs Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

Eleven Dead, Hundreds Poisoned in Iran After Eating Toxic Mushrooms

by Sushma Rao on May 22, 2018 at 9:24 AM
Font : A-A+

 Eleven Dead, Hundreds Poisoned in Iran After Eating Toxic Mushrooms

Eleven people have been reported dead and over 800 people were poisoned after consuming toxic wild mushrooms in western Iran, report Iranian Health Ministry officials.

Hundreds more were hospitalized, the semi-official Tasnim news agency reported.

Advertisement


A Health Ministry official said that there was no effective treatment against such fungal poisoning. At least two people received liver transplants.

According to authorities, the poisonous mushrooms looked very similar to edible ones due to which even the locals could not distinguish them.

The poisoning incidents were reported across the Iranian provinces of Kermanshah, Kohgiluye and Boyer-Ahmad, Kordestan, Lorestan, West Azerbaijan, Qazvin and Zanjan.

People were urged not to buy loose mushrooms and only purchase packed and sealed ones in shops. The deadly fungi grow wild in mountainous regions of Iran's west after spring showers, according to Tasnim news agency.



Source: IANS
Advertisement

Advertisement
News A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
News Category
What's New on Medindia
Contraceptive Pills in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Curtail Type 2 Diabetes Risk
Mushroom May Help Cut Down the Odds of Developing Depression
How to Battle Boredom during COVID
View all

Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.


Recommended Reading
Mushroom Types
Mushrooms are a connoisseur's gastronomic delight loaded with health benefits. Some kinds of ......
Magic Mushrooms can Lead to New Treatments for Neurological Disorders
The mystery behind what makes magic mushrooms magical has been identified. A cluster of five genes ....
Three in Mizoram Die After Consuming Wild Mushrooms
Two children, a woman and a man of a family fell sick after consuming wild mushrooms which may have ...
Eating Wild Mushrooms can Lead to Liver Failure, Even Death As They Can Be Poisonous
Distinguishing safe from harmful mushrooms is a challenge. Foraging is becoming increasingly ......

Disclaimer - All information and content on this site are for information and educational purposes only. The information should not be used for either diagnosis or treatment or both for any health related problem or disease. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician for medical diagnosis and treatment. Full Disclaimer

© All Rights Reserved 1997 - 2021

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use