Frequently Asked Questions1. Which doctor should I consult if I have symptoms of cholera?
You should visit a general physician.
2. What is the prognosis of cholera?
If treated quickly and properly, the mortality rate is less than 1%. The prognosis of cholera depends on fluid and electrolyte replacement. With adequate fluids, most people will make a full recovery. Severe dehydration can lead to shock and death.
3. How can cholera be prevented?
Cholera can be prevented with appropriate measures like-
- Safe drinking water and non-contaminated foods.
- Cleanliness, which is the most effective way to prevent and control outbreaks of cholera.
- Sanitary disposal of feces.
- Some protection can be obtained from oral vaccines while traveling to areas where cholera commonly occurs or which have had a recent outbreak.
4. What are the complications of cholera?
If not treated promptly, cholera can lead to severe dehydration, shock and death.