This medication is a combination of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole, prescribed for certain types bacterial infections. It is also used to treat traveler’s diarrhea. It eliminates bacteria that cause various infections.
Contraindicated in patients with anemia, hypersensitivity, during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
It is a fixed combination product containing sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim in 5:1 ratio.
Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 2 tablets every 12 hours for a period of 10 to 14 days.
Child- The recommended dose is 8 mg/kg of trimethoprim and 40 mg/kg of sulfamethoxazole daily in 2 divided doses every 12 hours.
It comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver or kidney disease, asthma, severe allergies, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency (an inherited blood disease), any allergy, who are taking other medications.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• Most Common :
Nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite.
• Blood : Decrease in blood cell counts.
• Allergic : Skin inflammation, eruptions, rash, itching, redness, hives, bruising and photosensitivity.
• Gastrointestinal : Liver inflammation/damage, jaundice, hepatic necrosis, elevation in liver enzymes, inflammation of intestine/pancreas/tongue, mouth ulcer, abdominal pain and diarrhea.
• Genitourinary : Kidney failure, Blood Urea Nitrogen and absence of urination.
• Central Nervous System : Brain inflammation, convulsions, incoordination, fainting, ringing in the ear, headache, hallucinations, depression and nervousness.
• Metabolic : Low blood sugar.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint/muscle pain.
• Respiratory : Cough, shortness of breath and lung infection.
• Miscellaneous : Weakness, fatigue and sleeplessness.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15–25°C), protect from light.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Pneumonitis usually refers to inflammation of lung tissue due to various non-infective causes such ...
Fremanezumab-vfrm is used as a preventive treatment for a migraine headache in adult patients. It ...
DOOR syndrome is a rare genetic disorder marked by deafness, short or absent fingernails, abnormal ...View All