Information about Cholera Vaccine
Generic Name : Cholera Vaccine
Pronunciation : KOL-er-a VAX-een
Latest prescription information about Cholera Vaccine. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
ICD Code : Y58.2
Therapeutic Classification : Immunizing Agents
Trade Names/Brand Names of Cholera Vaccine
Why is Cholera Vaccine Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is an immunization vaccine, prescribed for cholera.
When should Cholera Vaccine not be taken? (Contraindications)
What is the dosage of Cholera Vaccine?
Adult: PO- For primary vaccination schedule: As suspension (in doses of 3 ml mixed with Na hydrogen carbonate solution): 2 doses, at weekly intervals.
Complete immunization 1 week before potential exposure. A single booster dose may be given after 2 years to maintain protection.
How should Cholera Vaccine be taken?
It comes as a suspension to take by mouth, on an empty stomach. It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
What are the warnings and precautions for Cholera Vaccine?
• Immunization should be delayed in patients suffering from acute febrile illness or acute gastrointestinal illness.
• It should not be administered in children less than 2 years old.
• Additional protective measures should be undertaken, as the vaccine does not provide complete protection against cholera infection.
What are the side effects of Cholera Vaccine?
• Feeling of discomfort or illness
• Nausea and vomiting
• Pain or redness at the injection site
• Stomach pain
• Loss of appetite
What are the other precautions for Cholera Vaccine?
• The cholera vaccine should be given atleast 10 days before travelling to cholera affected region
• Do not take cholera vaccine, if the pregnancy delivery date is due within 7 days
• After using restroom, the hands must be washed thoroughly atleast for 2 weeks after a cholera vaccine has been received to avoid spreading of the disease
What are the storage conditions for Cholera Vaccine?
• Should be stored in a refrigerator between 2°C and 8°C
• Do not keep in a freezer
• Protect from light