This medication is an immunization vaccine, prescribed for cholera.
Adult: PO- For primary vaccination schedule: As suspension (in doses of 3 ml mixed with Na hydrogen carbonate solution): 2 doses, at weekly intervals.
Complete immunization 1 week before potential exposure. A single booster dose may be given after 2 years to maintain protection.
It comes as a suspension to take by mouth, on an empty stomach. It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Immunization should be delayed in patients suffering from acute febrile illness or acute gastrointestinal illness.
• It should not be administered in children less than 2 years old.
• Additional protective measures should be undertaken, as the vaccine does not provide complete protection against cholera infection.
• Feeling of discomfort or illness
• Nausea and vomiting
• Pain or redness at the injection site
• Stomach pain
• Loss of appetite
• The cholera vaccine should be given atleast 10 days before travelling to cholera affected region
• Do not take cholera vaccine, if the pregnancy delivery date is due within 7 days
• After using restroom, the hands must be washed thoroughly atleast for 2 weeks after a cholera vaccine has been received to avoid spreading of the disease
• Should be stored in a refrigerator between 2°C and 8°C
• Do not keep in a freezer
• Protect from light
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!