Anaphylaxis - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Which doctor should I consult for anaphylaxis treatment?

A: You should contact the emergency department of your nearest hospital if you suffer from an anaphylactic attack. Once your attack is under control, an allergist or an immunologist can help you review your previous history of allergy, test for various types of allergy and go through the treatment options. They can also help in coping with anaphylaxis.


Q:  Will desensitization therapy cure me of my anaphylaxis?

A: Discuss with your doctor about the options of desensitization therapy. Also called allergen immunotherapy, the procedure is useful only for certain types of allergy or anaphylactic reaction.

Q:  I had an attack of anaphylaxis and had taken epinephrine. Should I go to a hospital now?

A: Yes. Even after administering a dose of epinephrine as the first aid for anaphylaxis, you need to be taken to the emergency department for further monitoring and treatment.

The allergist will prescribe other medicines apart from epinephrine, which may have to be taken on a daily basis, for a period as mentioned in the prescription. Further, follow-up will determine if the medications need to be continued or not.

Q: What kind of information should I provide about my child’s allergy to the school and teacher?

A: The school needs to be given information about the child’s allergy triggers and the first line of treatment. The school needs to be informed at least two persons to be contacted in case of an emergency.

Q: How will I know the difference between catamenial anaphylaxis and normal attack of anaphylaxis?

A: Catamenial anaphylactic attacks occur during the premenstrual time, while other anaphylactic attacks occur following recent exposure to any allergen or drug allergies. Your allergist can help in identifying the trigger and the treatment after that.