This medication is an antidepressant, prescribed for depression and anxiety. It increases the amounts of certain natural substances that are needed for mental balance.
Contraindicated in patients who have taken linezolid, methylene blue, or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days, and hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO- Depression Initial: 150 mg/day, increase slowly, up to 300-400 mg/day if needed. Max: 600 mg/day in divided doses.
Anxiety Initial: 75 mg/day, up to 300 mg/day if needed.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of depression, mental problems, suicidal thoughts, alcoholism, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, cancer, heart attack, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It should not be used in children.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of suicidal thoughts; watch them carefully.
• ♦Patient may develop with increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome with the following symptoms: restlessness, diarrhea, fast heart beat, incoordination, nausea, vomiting. If it is so consult with your healthcare provider.
• Allergic reactions :
Rash, itching, hives, swelling, blurred vision, constipation and dry mouth.
• Heart : High blood pressure, shortness of breath, fainting, fast heart rate and palpitations.
• Central Nervous System : Anger, confusion, decreased concentration, disorientation, dizziness/lightheadedness, drowsiness, excitement, fatigue, headache, sleeplessness, memory loss, nervousness, incoordination, tingling and tremors.
• Gastrointestinal : Abdominal disorder, bad taste in mouth, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle/joint pain.
• Miscellaneous: Decreased libido, decreased appetite, redness/tired/itching of eyes, uneasiness, nose block, abnormal dreams, sweating, ringing in the ear and weight gain/loss.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (30°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Kleine Levin (KLS) or sleeping beauty syndrome is a rare neurological disorder that primarly ...
LADA or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood is a form of type 1 autoimmune diabetes that can be ...
Sleep paralysis is a condition where one feels unable to move (paralysis) or speak either when ...View All