Information about Telavancin
Generic Name : Telavancin
Pronunciation : TEL-a-VAN-sin
Latest prescription information about Telavancin. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
ICD Code : Y40
Therapeutic Classification : Antibiotics
Trade Names/Brand Names of Telavancin
Why is Telavancin Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is an antibiotic, prescribed for serious skin infections. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria.
When should Telavancin not be taken? (Contraindications)
Contraindicated in patients with severe heart disease, pregnant women, and hypersensitivity.
What is the dosage of Telavancin?
Adult- IV- The recommended dose is 10 mg/kg administered over a 60-minute period infusion once a day for 7 to 14 days.
How should Telavancin be taken?
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
What are the warnings and precautions for Telavancin?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of high blood pressure, kidney impairment, sugar, heart disease, diarrhea, bloody stools, stomach cramps, fever, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it may cause secondary infection.
What are the side effects of Telavancin?
• Body as a Whole : Rigors and generalized itching.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.
• Metabolic : Decreased appetite.
• Central Nervous System : Taste disturbances and dizziness.
• Genitourinary : Protein in the urine.
• Skin : Itching, rash.
• Miscellaneous : Injection site pain and redness.
What are the other precautions for Telavancin?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Telavancin?
Store it in refrigerator (2 to 8°C). Do not freeze it.