Information about Rimantadine
Generic Name : Rimantadine
Pronunciation : ri-MAN-ta-deen
Latest prescription information about Rimantadine. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
ICD Code : Y41.5
Therapeutic Classification : Antivirals
Trade Names/Brand Names of Rimantadine
Other Name(s) of Rimantadine
Why is Rimantadine Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is an orally administered antiviral drug, prescribed for illness caused by various strains of influenza A virus in adults.
It may block reproduction of the virus.
When should Rimantadine not be taken? (Contraindications)
What is the dosage of Rimantadine?
Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 100 mg twice a day.
Child- 5 mg/kg, once a day. Maximum: 150mg.
How should Rimantadine be taken?
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. It is usually taken once or twice a day for 2-12 weeks.
What are the warnings and precautions for Rimantadine?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver disease, seizures or blood disorders, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid vaccination while taking this medication.
What are the side effects of Rimantadine?
• Gastrointestinal System : Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, dry mouth, abdominal pain, diarrhea and indigestion.
• Body as a Whole : Weakness.
• Central Nervous System: Sleeplessness, nervousness, impaired concentration, dizziness, depression, headache and fatigue.
• Skin: Rash and ringing in the ear.
• Respiratory: Difficulty in breathing.
What are the other precautions for Rimantadine?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Rimantadine?
Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.