This medication is an antibiotic, prescribed for tuberculosis (TB). It works by killing or stopping the growth of TB organisms.
Contraindicated in patients with blood disease porphyria, and hypersensitivity.
PO- Initial Phase (2 Months)- The recommended dose is 600 mg (4 x 150 mg tablets) twice weekly for two months.
Continuation Phase (4 Months)- The recommended dose is 600 mg once weekly for 4 months in combination with isoniazid or an appropriate antituberculosis agent.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Severe Effects :
Development of cancer cells.
• Most Common : Blood in urine, loss of appetite, back pain, joint pain, and muscle pain.
• Genitourinary : Urethral disorder, painful urination, kidney inflammation, urinary incontinence and urination disorder.
• Metabolic : Increase or decrease in weight, increase in BUN, alkaline phosphatase levels, increase or decrease in blood minerals.
• Blood : Lymphocytosis, blood clot, and anemia.
• Body as a Whole – : Abnormal laboratory tests, swelling in the legs, weakness, swelling face, abscess, and uneasiness.
• Skin : Skin ulceration, hives, dry skin, boil, skin discoloration, purple discolorations on the skin, fungal infection, nail disorder, hair loss, and rash.
• Respiratory : Abnormal breath sounds, pneumonia, fluid in the lung, runny nose, difficulty in breathing, sinusitis, increased sputum , upper respiratory congestion, asthma, chest x-ray abnormal and throat swelling.
• Gastrointestinal : Tooth disorder, stomach inflammation, lip inflammation, dry mouth, inflammation of pancreas, salivary gland enlargement and bowel inflammation.
• Infectious disease : Fungal, parasitic and protozoan infection.
• Liver : Liver enlargement and jaundice.
• Central Nervous System : Drowsiness, seizure, voice disorder, increased muscle tone, brain inflammation, migraine headache, stupor, anxiety, confusion, drug abuse, aggressive reaction and agitation.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain, bone fracture, muscle weakness and muscle spasm.
• Heart : Fainting, fast heart rate, palpitation and low blood pressure.
• Genitourinary : Penis disorder, vaginal inflammation, vaginal bleeding, cervical smear test positive, white discharge, mastitis male and prostatic disorder.
• Eye and ENT: Loss of taste, ear disorder, ear inflammation, ear pain, tympanic membrane perforation, eye pain and eye abnormality.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store at (25°C). Protect from excessive heat and humidity.