This medication is a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM) prescribed for treatment and prevention of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. It is also used for reduction in risk of invasive breast cancer in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis and those at high risk for invasive breast cancer. It decreases bone turnover and increases bone density.
Contraindicated in patients with allergy to the drug; active or past history of venous blood clot events including deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism and retinal vein thrombosis, pregnancy, nursing mothers.
Adult: PO- The recommended dose is 60 mg/day.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken once a day with or without food.
• You should follow the diet and exercise recommended by the doctor regularly.
• Calcium and Vitamin D should be taken if needed.
• Monitor your body weight regularly to prevent bone weakness.
• It may cause blood clots, so avoid sitting in one place.
• It is not recommended for men.
• Caution needed for pregnant women, elderly, and children, patients with history of heart failure, liver or kidney disease, excess in triglycerides in blood.
• Serious adverse effects: Deep vein thrombosis (clotting in the deep veins), pulmonary embolus, stroke.
• Most Common: Hot flushes, leg cramps, sweating, sleep disorders, peripheral edema, vaginal bleeding; flu-like symptoms, rashes, headache.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, GI disturbances.
• Metabolic: Weight gain.
• Musculoskeletal: Joint pain, muscle pain, inflammation of joints, tendon disorder.
• Central Nervous System: Depression, sleeplessness, dizziness, nerve disease.
• Respiratory: Inflammation of respiratory tract, runny nose, increased cough.
• Skin: Rash, sweating.
• Eye: Inflammation of conjunctiva.
• Genitourinary: Urinary tract infection, inflammation of vagina, vaginal bleeding, uterine disorder.
• Potentially Fatal: Endometrial carcinoma and thromboembolic events.
Take exactly as directed by your healthcare provider.
Oral: Store at 15-30°C.Keep this medication in an airtight container, and room temperature. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!