This medication is an antimalarial agent, prescribed for treatment of falciparum malaria, resistant to chloroquine. It blocks the formation of folinic acid within the malaria organism, which kills the parasite.
Contraindicated in patients with severe kidney or liver failure, blood disorder, hypersensitivity to components, megaloblastic anemia due to folic acid deficiency, pregnancy at term and during lactation, infants ≤ 2 month old.
PO- The recommended single dose is 3 tabs (sulfadoxine/ pyrimethamine 500 mg /25 mg), take next dose after 7 days, if needed.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, after food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver or kidney failure, folic acid deficiency, severe allergy or bronchial asthma, G6PD deficiency, pregnancy.
• Take with plenty of water to prevent crystal or stone formation in the urinary tract.
• Avoid excessive exposure to sun.
• Regular laboratory testing of blood counts, urine and liver functions should be carried out.
• Take with food to minimize GI effects (e.g. anorexia and vomiting).
Decrease in white blood cells, bone marrow depression, decrease in platelets, anemia, bruising, poor blood clot, methemoglobinemia, and increase in eosinophils.
• Allergic Reactions: Rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing.
• Skin: Severe allergic reactions, hair loss.
• Eye: Photosensitivity, swelling in the eye.
• Gastrointestinal : Inflammation of tongue, mouth infection, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pains, diarrhea, inflammation of liver or pancreas, feeling of fullness, and transient rise of liver enzymes.
• Central Nervous System : Depression, headache, hallucinations, fatigue, nervousness, fainting. Sleeplessness, inflammation of nerves, involuntary movements, emotion, muscle weakness.
• Respiratory: Pulmonary infiltrates resembling eosinophilic or lung inflammation.
• Genitourinary: Kidney failure, interstitial nephritis, decreased urination, and crystals in urine.
• Miscellaneous : Drug fever, chills, and LE phenomenon have occurred.
Take full course of treatment.
If there is no improvement in your health condition or if they become worse consult with your doctor.
Store it at room temperature, (20 and 25 degrees C). Store it in an airtight container, and keep away from children and pets.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!