Information about Pilocarpine
Generic Name : Pilocarpine
Pronunciation : pye-loe-KAR-peen
Latest prescription information about Pilocarpine. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
ICD Code : Y51.1
Therapeutic Classification : Cholinergic Agents
Trade Names/Brand Names of Pilocarpine
Isopto Carpine, Salagen
Why is Pilocarpine Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is a muscarinic receptor agonist, prescribed for glaucoma, and for dry mouth (xerostomia) in patients with Sjogren's syndrome. It is also used as an antidote for some alkaloid drug poisoning. It works by increasing the secretion of saliva.
When should Pilocarpine not be taken? (Contraindications)
Contraindicated to patients with uncontrolled asthma, and allergic to pilocarpine.
What is the dosage of Pilocarpine?
Adult: Eye Drops- Instill 1 or 2 drops per eye, 3 to 4 times per day.
Dry mouth- 5 mg 4 times/day. Max: 30 mg/day.
How should Pilocarpine be taken?
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. It is also comes as eye drops, to instill over the eyes and as an injectable solution.
What are the warnings and precautions for Pilocarpine?
• It may lead to dehydration to your body, to avoid this problem drink plenty of water while taking this medication.
• It may cause change in vision in night, so be careful while driving a car or other dangerous performance.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of inflammation of bronchus or a group of lung diseases, heart disease, kidney stones; gallstones, mental illness, any condition that affects your ability to think, or gallbladder, heart, or liver disease, pregnancy and breastfeeding.
What are the side effects of Pilocarpine?
• Most Common: Sweating, nausea, runny nose, diarrhea, chills, flushing, frequent urination, dizziness, weakness.
• Miscellaneous: Headache, indigestion, vomiting, heartburn, increased tears, stomach pain, swelling of arms, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs, changes in vision, fast or slow heart beat.
What are the other precautions for Pilocarpine?
Prolonged use may lead to lens opacities.
What are the storage conditions for Pilocarpine?
Store at 25°C. Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container. Keep away from excess heat and moisture.