This medication is an antidepressant, prescribed for depression. It increases the amounts of certain natural substances in the brain that are needed to maintain mental balance.
♦ Contraindicated in patients with recent heart attack, who are taking or have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors within 14 days, linezolid or intravenous methylene blue and hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO- The recommended dose is 75-100 mg/day in 3-4 divided doses. Severe: upto 150 mg/day.
It comes as a capsule and tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of increased eye pressure, enlarged prostate, difficulty in urinating, sugar, seizures, mental illness, overactive thyroid, liver, kidney, or heart disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Do not become overheated; otherwise heatstroke may occur.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• Heart :
Low or high blood pressure, fast heart rate, palpitations, heart attack, abnormal heart rhythm, heart block and stroke.
• Central Nervous System : Numbness, tingling, incoordination, tremor, seizures, alteration in EEG patterns, hallucinations, disorientation, delusions, anxiety, restlessness, agitation and sleeplessness.
• Eye and ENT : Dry mouth, blurred vision, vision disturbances, dilatation of pupil and ringing in the ear.
• Allergic reactions : Skin rash, hives, itching, sensitivity to light, swelling in the face and tongue and fever.
• Blood : Bone marrow depression and bruising.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach distress, diarrhea, peculiar taste, mouth ulcer, abdominal cramps and black-tongue.
• Genitourinary : Breast enlargement in male, spontaneous milk secretion, increased or decreased sexual ativities, impotence. urinary retention and delayed urination.
• Miscellaneous : Jaundice, altered liver function, weight gain or loss, flushing, urinary frequency, drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, fatigue, headache and hair loss.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (20° to 25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!