This medication is a vasodilator, prescribed for hypertension. It relaxes blood vessels and improves blood flow.
Contraindicated in patients with pheochromocytoma (adrenal gland tumor) and hypersensitivity.
Adult- The recommended initial dose is 5 mg/day as a single dose. Maximum: 100mg/day.
Child- The initial dosage is 0.2 mg/kg/day as a single dose.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease, a heart attack, pheochromocytoma, or kidney disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, lightheadedness or changes in vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Most common :
Fluid retention accompanied body weight gain, swelling, inflammation of heart muscles and fast heart rate.
• Skin : Pigmentation, abnormal hair growth and allergic reactions.
• Blood : Decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea and vomiting.
• Miscellaneous : Breast tenderness.
Monitor electrolyte counts and body weight regularly while taking this medication.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15°-30°C), and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!