This medication is a phosphodiesterase 3 inhibitor, prescribed for acute decompensated heart failure (ADHF) (serious cause of acute respiratory distress). It increases the pumping strength of the heart.
Contraindicated in patients with recent heart attack and hypersensitivity.
Adult: IV- Loading dose: 50 mcg/kg then continuous maintenance infusion of 0.375-0.75 mcg/kg/min. Adjust according to response. Max:1.13 mcg/kg/day.
It comes as a solution for injection, to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart valve disease, irregular heartbeat, mineral imbalance, other heart diseases, kidney disease, any allergy, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• This medication is generally well tolerated.
• Heart: Fast heart rate, abnormal/irregular heart beat, low blood pressure and chest pain.
• Central Nervous System: Headache.
• Miscellaneous: Decreased potassium level in blood, tremor and decreased platelet count.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!