This medication is a corticosteroid prescribed for severe allergies, arthritis, asthma, certain blood disorders and skin conditions. It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.
PO- The recommended dose range is 4 to 32mg/day.
IV- 1gm every 6 – 8 weeks.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart problems, heart attack, high blood pressure, kidney, liver disease, diabetes, seizures, under active thyroid, adrenal gland problems, mental problems, any allergy, who are taking other medications, infections, stomach problems, muscle weakness, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid contact with people who have infections.
• It may cause serious increase in blood pressure, salt and water retention, calcium deficiency, take proper diet.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
• Heart : Heart failure, high blood pressure and fluid retention.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle weakness, loss of muscle mass, joint inflammation, tendon rupture, vertebral compression and fractures.
• Gastrointestinal : Peptic ulcer and abdominal distention.
• Skin : Facial swelling increased sweating, redness and rash.
• Central Nervous System : Stroke, convulsions, unsteadiness and headache.
• Genitourinary : Suppression of growth in children and menstrual irregularities.
• Metabolic : Increased blood sugar level.
• Eye : Increased eye pressure.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (20° to 25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!