General Information on Methionine
Generic Name : Methionine
Pronunciation : me-THYE-oh-neen
Latest prescription information about Methionine. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
Therapeutic Classification : Amino Acid Supplements
Trade Names/Brand Names of Methionine
Overview of Methionine
Methionine is used to prevent liver damage due to acetaminophen overdose
and diaper rash
in the infant.
Why is Methionine Prescribed? (Indications)
Methionine is an amino acid.
It is used to:
• Make the urine more acidic and reduce irritation from diaper rash in an infant or rash due to bladder incontinence
in an adult.
• It also helps in controlling strong urine odor.
• Prevents liver damage in patients with acetaminophen/paracetamol poisoning.
When should Methionine not be taken? (Contraindications)
Methionine is contraindicated in the following conditions:
• Allergy to methionine
• Acidosis, which can worsen
• Liver disease
and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) deficiency, due to possible homocysteine build up which can increase the risk for heart disease
What is the dosage of Methionine?
The recommended dose for:
• Acetaminophen poisoning is: 2.5 g every four hours for 4 doses within 10 hours of acetaminophen intake.
• Acidification of urine in adults: 200mg three to four times a day orally in the form of capsules or powder.
The dose in children will be decided by the physician.
How should Methionine be taken?
• Methionine is available as a tablet, capsule, powder or liquid.
What are the warnings and precautions for Methionine?
• An overdose of methionine can worsen liver disease.
What are the side effects of Methionine?
• Gastrointestinal disorder:
Nausea and vomiting
What are the other precautions for Methionine?
• The treatment should be taken only on the advice of a physician.
What are the Drug Interactions of Methionine?
• Not known
What are the storage conditions for Methionine?
• Store the drug at room temperature and also away from heat and moisture.
Last Updated : 2/5/2018