This medication is a narcotic analgesic, prescribed for moderate to severe pain.
Contraindicated in patients with severe respiratory insufficiency, certain type of intestinal inflammation, and hypersensitivity; who are taking or who have recently taken monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors.
Adults: The usual dosage is 50 mg to 150 mg orally, every 3 or 4 hours as necessary.
Pediatric Patients: The usual dosage is 1.1 mg/kg to 1.8 mg/kg orally, upto the adult dose, every 3 or 4 hours as necessary.
It comes as a tablet and syrup (liquid) to take by mouth with or without food.
It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein, muscle or under the skin.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of Addison's disease, head injury, mental illness, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), sickle cell anemia, pheochromocytoma (a type of tumor), enlarged prostate gland, urinary obstruction, irregular heartbeat, seizures, stomach problems, thyroid, liver, kidney or lung disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise patient may get addicted to this drug.
• Severe effects :
Respiratory depression, poor blood circulation, shock and heart arrest.
• Central Nervous System : Emotion, anxiety, weakness, headache, agitation, tremor, uncoordinated muscle movements, convulsions, transient hallucinations and disorientation and visual disturbances.
• Gastrointestinal : Dry mouth, constipation and biliary tract spasm.
• Heart : Flushing of the face, fast/slow heart rate, palpitation, low blood pressure and fainting.
• Genitourinary : Urinary retention.
• Allergic reactions : Itching, hives and rash.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (25° C), and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!